Mariah Moore, Onaway High School Onaway Michigan Filipino Weapons Demo

PLEASE READ MY OLDER POSTS

To learn more about me, what I do, and what I live for, please read my older posts. There is a lot of insight into my life and my work, not just as a martial artist, but as a human being.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

LISTEN, THINK........DON'T!

I want to talk to not only the kids/teens that read this, but the adults too. Being in High School, I have seen and talked to MANY people that do or did abuse substances (drugs).
I want to tell you a story.

There is a 15-year old girl the goes to my school and is a freshman just like me. Ever since the 7th grade, I have heard her talking about how her MOTHER, of all people, would give her drugs and let her get drunk - under her supervision - for her birthday. It breaks my heart to tell you, that this girl is very intellegent and pretty, but she chooses to abuse substances and now she is known (pardon my language) as the 9th grade sleeze. Not because she does drugs, but because of things she does while under the influence of drugs. Things I'm sure she regrets when she's sober. Things I'm sure she's ashamed of.

Now, when I say substance abuse, I do not mean just alcohol and drugs, but cigarettes too.
I was very close to my Grammy all of my life, she was my best friend in the whole wide world. But, she was one of those people that decided to look "cool" in college and smoke. Just a couple of years ago, she passedaway. Not because of natural causes, but lung cancer due to smoking. Now, when you think about this, realize that she not only hurt herself, but she hurt others because of her second hand smoke, we think that I hung out with her so much that, that may have led to me having Vocal Cord Disfunction (VCD). This has restricated me in so many ways, and by my grammy not smoking, she could have saved not only herself, but me too. This is not a lecture, I just want all of you to know that your poor choices not only affect you and your reputation, but the ones you love and adore too. Please consider what I am saying, and PLEASE do not get hooked. Don't lose all that is dear to you like my Grammy did. And, sadly, we lost her too. We should have had her for 20 more years. Her grandma lived to 98 and her mother to 92. My gram was just 72............It isn't fair......not to anyone.

3 comments:

Hawke said...

Bad habit are easy to start, but hard to live with the rest of your life.

Good habits are hard to start, but easy to with the rest of your life.

In life we have many choices. We have many opportunities. We can harm or help others either in words or deeds.

Whether we need to save a little bit, study a little more, practice a few more minutes, or reflect on our life at the end of the day...all easy to do. But also easy not to do. The benefit or abuse will not show up sometimes until years later. What we sow, we also reap.

Plant the seeds of friendship, commitment, integrity, understanding, early in life. Reap the rewards in the years to come.

Catt said...

Hi Mariah,
I was at the AIM USA event in Chesterfield, VA this past weekend. You autographed my 9 year old sister's trophy and one of your photos for her. I read over your blog, and I just wanted to you to know how impressed I am with both your talent, dedication, and attitude. I hope you got lots of funding for your overseas training to, where was it? The Phillipines? Although it must be a lot of pressure sometimes, I think it's great you are providing a smart role model for young girls as well as following your dreams.
Best wishes,
Abby, Portsmouth, VA

Unknown said...

Mariah

Thank you for taking a stand and telling others not to start bad habits.

Thank you also for being a wonderful role model and willing to share this with others.

Jan - Mich I Can Today

Fight Tunes!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

North American International Karate Championships, Detroit Michigan Competition for Grand Champion

Kent County Youth Fair Talent Show 1st Place Performance - Mariah and Noel Loveless "Boom Boom POW!"

Detroit D'Lux Charity Challenge Martial Arts Tournament