Mariah Moore, Onaway High School Onaway Michigan Filipino Weapons Demo

PLEASE READ MY OLDER POSTS

To learn more about me, what I do, and what I live for, please read my older posts. There is a lot of insight into my life and my work, not just as a martial artist, but as a human being.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

2010 W.E.K.A.F, U.S National Championships and USA Team Trials~

Our Team Uniform- WAY TO GO MOM! OUR DESIGNER!



Forms Competition-Tabak Patalim


My Dad in Black


Jornales System


Exciting news!!
Last week I was in Fremont California; And not just for fun and games. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I competed at the 2010 WEKAF U.S National Championships and team trials.
there were over 100 competitors from five regions across the United States. Here, the best fighters in the country meet to face off for precious seats on the U.S National Team that will compete against countries from all over the world in Mexico at the WEKAF 11th World Championships in Puerto Vallarta Mexico in July.

Want to guess how I did? Well, Friday was the day for forms competition and I competed with the Tabak Petalim, or hook sword and dagger. I won my first gold of the tournament and successfully defended my U.S. National title in traditional multiple weapons! Later that day was the team form competition. I am very pleased to say that, with the help of our secret weapon (a.k.a Master Bong), we won first place! It was awesome considering the fact that we put together our team form just 2 weeks before the tournament. Video is up on YOU TUBE of the Team form under Jornales System.

Saturday and Sunday were the stick fighting competition days. I ended up fighting in single stick on Saturday and fought a girl from Denver in the 16-17 heavyweight division. I ended up getting 2nd place. Also that day I did an exhibition fight with Natalie from MD, which was a lot of fun. Then, last but definitely not least, I fought in my favorite division in the whole tournament, Double Stick!! I was in the 12-17 middle weight division and fought the same girl from denver...and won!! The whole place shut down- all the other rings stopped and everyone told me that there wasn't anyone in the room that was not watching the fight. It was very intense and fast and I believe I won due to speed and footwork. I have never beaten Erin in Single Stick fighting and she has never beaten me in Double Stick-yet we continue to try! She's definitely my best competition. (Gabe Rafael told me he recalled the hotel staff walking in during my fight and asking what was going on and when he told them it was the girls fight they were flabbergasted!)
So in total I brought home 3 golds and 1 silver.

Now for the twist! My dad has been to every single class that I have ever taken. He takes me to all the seminars, tournaments, and all of my training. A couple years ago Master Bong and I started encouraging him to train. Two years ago, he picked up a pair of sticks and the rest is history. I know, it's supposed to be the other way around where I learn from him because he's the parent. In this case, he's learned from me and guess what! He entered the regional competition in Milwaukee back in October and earned the right to compete at nationals. In his first ever national tournament and only the 3rd tournament he'd ever competed in, MY DAD MADE THE US NATIONAL TEAM! He took 1st in his weapons competition, 2nd in Single Stick Fighting, and 3rd in Double Stick Fighting. "I taught him everything he knows!" hahahahah I'm just kidding. Master Bong gets ALL the credit there! Congrats to my dad! I'm so very proud of you!

Finally, it is my honor to Thank Grand Master Bong Jornlaes for sharing his love for the Philippine Martial Arts with me and for coaching me and teaching me everything I needed to win. Without him I could not have done so well, and I surely would not have accomplished what I have today. Master Bong, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Tournaments like this one are always a great reason for a little time off and FUN FUN FUN! While we were in California we did A LOT of sightseeing on the days off of competition. I got to see the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Sea lions, Fisherman's Warf, and...CHINA TOWN :) I was really looking forward to swimming and laying on the beach but it was a bit too cold-even in California! But all in all I had an amazing fun time.

Once again, I would like to thank you all for supporting me, believing in me, and reading my updates! All of your support and encouragement truly means the world to me!

~GOD BLESS~

No comments:

Fight Tunes!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

North American International Karate Championships, Detroit Michigan Competition for Grand Champion

Kent County Youth Fair Talent Show 1st Place Performance - Mariah and Noel Loveless "Boom Boom POW!"

Detroit D'Lux Charity Challenge Martial Arts Tournament